DATATOOL SNITCHER

problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
lockwood
Two wheeled terror

DATATOOL SNITCHER

Postby lockwood » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:33 pm

I want to put a DATATOOL Snitcher Text-Alerter & Tracker on my SD. The obvious location would be under the seat, and the basic wire-up is a 3-wire job, straight to + & - feeds from the battery, and a 3rd to a switched live when the ignition's turned on, such as brake-light switch or taillight. I don't want to trail wires right up front to the battery, so does anyone know the best terminals to use on the fuse array under the seat?
I had one on a previous bike and they're brilliant, sends you a text message 'Movement Sensor Activated' if anyone even breathes too hard on your bike. (like the mini-earthquake we had in the UK a few of months back!)
And if your bike does get nicked, it's location can be tracked by GPS !

BASH69
Race ace

Postby BASH69 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:17 pm

There is a switched live and negative under the seat right next to the fuse box, i have my gps wired into it, although that may be too obvious where thiefing scum and security are concerned!!!

the-bunker
Stunt rider

Re: DATATOOL SNITCHER

Postby the-bunker » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:00 pm

lockwood wrote:if your bike does get nicked, it's location can be tracked by GPS !

It doesn't have GPS, location is tracked by GSM triangulation, which is less accurate - about 50-200m radius, so tracking through a town/city will be harder - but still a lot better than nothing.

I wonder if you called the plod & said your bike had been nicked & you had a tracker, whether they would bother to do anything ? - You might have to go find it yourself...
Meow

lockwood
Two wheeled terror

DATATOOL SNITCHER

Postby lockwood » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:33 pm

Yeh, your right, a bit dyslexic when it comes to abbreviations.

Do you think it could be located to a particular building if stolen by GSM?

the-bunker
Stunt rider

Postby the-bunker » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:43 pm

Probably not at that range unless it was in a barn in a field or something.

If you're nearby then the text warning is very useful - there's a chance you could catch them, or at least get to find witnesses before they drift off.
I notice it can trigger an alarm on the bike too.

I think it's a good idea - not perfect, but better than just an alarm, coz everyone ignores them & they just annoy people. At least you would be doing something to try & stop it from being nicked.

Think I might get one - thanks for the idea.
Meow

lockwood
Two wheeled terror

DATATOOL SNITCHER

Postby lockwood » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:28 pm

You can get them on ebay for less than a ton now! (I paid quite a bit more from a local dealer). :(

My idea too, if it texts me, I'll sprint to the bike asap and hopefully catch them in the act or at least get some witnesses or clues. Providing you have your mobile to hand you should get a pretty immediate notification something's up! (Like when we had the earthquake, got that horrible sinking feeling, but shot to the garage expecting to find the door wide open and the bike gone, but fortunately that time all was okay). :)

Let me know if you get one and how you fit it, I won't have chance to do mine till next weekend.

Sicknoteskier
Minimoto racer

Postby Sicknoteskier » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:19 pm

In the UK many of the operators will disable the SIM card if not used after a certain period of time. Therefore I guess there is probably something in the manual to state that the user has to trigger the device every so often to send a text message to the mobile network, keeping the SIM alive.
If not then it might be too late to realise your SIM card is no longer active.
Triangulation can be more effective in a built up area. Can't remeber if it is more effective if the device is on the move or not.

Sicknoteskier
Minimoto racer

Postby Sicknoteskier » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:20 pm

On my 08 model there is a swtiched and non switched live feed under the headlamp.

lockwood
Two wheeled terror

DATATOOL SNITCHER

Postby lockwood » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:16 pm

They use an Orange sim. Don't know their policy on disabling, it might be worth asking?
Although on my previous bike fitted with a Snitcher I found I set it off by accident every now and again if I moved the bike without turning the ignition turned on.
If you're planning on working on the bike or taking it for service work it's best to text VALET to the unit to disable the motion sensor, then afterwards text RESET.
They're pretty sensitive, more so than the alarm, even the slightest movement set mine off!
A pretty good 'guard-dog' I thought.

the-bunker
Stunt rider

Postby the-bunker » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:18 pm

So now you can send text message to your SD :?

And it sends you messages, like "help - someone is abducting me " :oops:

It's like having a new friend :shock:
Meow

jehadjoe
Thunder pumpkin rider

Postby jehadjoe » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:04 pm

seriously?..... is this true?.... it can talk to you through a device?.... :shock:

dogfm
Two wheeled terror

Trackers

Postby dogfm » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:29 am

So about to get new Superduke GT and wondering whether a BikeTrac tracker is worth the cost? I had a Fireblade stolen from the car park at work 18 months ago- phoned police who answered the telephone after 20 minutes. They didn’t bother coming out.

I was dumb and didn’t chain the bike up, it seems to me that a Tracker would only have been useful if the two scooter riders who bust the steering lock (by kicking the handlebars) and towing it away using their scooter parked it up somewhere close by in case it had a tracker. In this instance I could have retrieved,

Despite the fact that it was broad daylight and there was CCTV (which is how I know the modus operandi) the bike was not recovered and the thieves not caught. The CCTV footage was not released by the Council to the Police until two weeks after the incident which obviously hindered the investigation.

I am now more diligent with security, the alarm/immobiliser is really a sop to the insurance company- I think physical security measures such as disk lock and chain are the way to go. My question is have you installed a tracker and if your bike has been stolen did it help th3 recovery ?

Return to Technical - Dr F's Words of Wisdom