OFFICIAL: New Super Duke R 1290

general forum > questions . answers . discussions

So now we have seen the finished bike are you....

Gutted! Everything I feared after all these months of speculation :-(
2%
It looks ok but not overly excited.
15%
Looks better than I expected and this could be a purchase but not sold completely yet. A lot depends on price tag.
36%
Shit my left testicle and kidney are on eBay now. Show me where to sign away my first born as well. Must have!!!
47%

Total votes : 172

MADDOG53
Race ace

Re: OFFICIAL: New Super Duke R 1290 Prototype

Postby MADDOG53 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:37 pm

Ducati Pete wrote:I think our problem is the original SD show bike looked SO good, and the production bike was very, very close and at the time was right on the money.

It may be a 8 year old model but it's a hard act to follow.

That statement my friend is why I say mine is a "keeper",,,,sure the new model will have thing's on it people won't like but that is why KTM have the power part's catalog,,,,,only on the "big" duke all those bit's will cost even more than they were on the 990,,,,
BLACK is BACK

KTM666
Trackday hero

Postby KTM666 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:47 pm

Ducati Pete wrote:I think our problem is the original SD show bike looked SO good, and the production bike was very, very close and at the time was right on the money.

It may be a 8 year old model but it's a hard act to follow.

Bang on .....I have decided to get all the bits I wanted........otherwise I would always have unfinished business :wink:
I saw the light...............and it was .....................Orange

fakujak72
Two wheeled terror

Postby fakujak72 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:52 pm

Oh Dear I hope KTM haven't isolated themselves from us "Community Folks". Nah! they don't do that. :wink:
Past bikes. Always "The Bestest". Over the past, 35 years. Mostly KTMs over the past 14years though! 1xDuke/3xDukeII/2xSD990/1xDukeIII/SDR990./Now back to previously owned Duke III.

JohnJJr
Wheelie king

Postby JohnJJr » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:31 pm

I think that headlight is some aftermarked POS that i've seen selling on flea bay very often....

The whole bike's been redesigned with a naked streetfighter as the intended goal... and then i have to look at these photos -- why am i pissed !! WTF -

SDNerd
Master of the twisties

Postby SDNerd » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:55 pm

JohnJJr wrote:I think that headlight is some aftermarked POS that i've seen selling on flea bay very often....

The whole bike's been redesigned with a naked streetfighter as the intended goal... and then i have to look at these photos -- why am i pissed !! WTF -

You mean like this one ... Image

Which is no fleabay POS BTW.

nampus
Stunt rider

Postby nampus » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:40 pm

looks more like they strapped this unit to the front: Image

MrZ32
Trackday hero

Postby MrZ32 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:08 pm

SDNerd wrote:
JohnJJr wrote:I think that headlight is some aftermarked POS that i've seen selling on flea bay very often....

That would actually look better than the heap of crap that is on there now
08 SD, WP Dampener, 'Suspension Improvements" tuned sus (springs, valves, shim stacks ), KTM cowl, R&G carbon covers, Termi Pipes (from a duc 998), Grim990 Airbox, breather mod, SAS plates, tuneECU PDI tune, HM QS, JTM VS & DVS

Crotchrockety

Postby Crotchrockety » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:17 pm

Looks like a prop for Transformers 5. Ist Scheiße!
08 Superduke

"I'm now thinking the SD is the motocycle equivalent to 'Once you go black you don't go back.'" Agent Orange

What's that coming over the hill is it a Superduke? Is it a Superduke?

JohnJJr
Wheelie king

Postby JohnJJr » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:33 am

SDNerd wrote:

OK not necessarily a POS but come on !!! grab some aftermarket stuff to put on a completely redesigned bike ??? come on !! where's the KTM logo :twisted:

SDNerd
Master of the twisties

Postby SDNerd » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:38 pm

Mmmmmmmm ... MV Agusta ... Looking better by the minute:

JohnJJr
Wheelie king

Postby JohnJJr » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:45 pm

SDNerd wrote:Mmmmmmmm ... MV Agusta ... Looking better by the minute:

I have to admit every time i've seen one of these around where i ride i think to myself " I wish i could test ride that thing " they look like they handle like a dream ....... But everyone out here says there's no service locations around and parts not all that easy to get your hands on ..... But yes sweet look'n bikes IMHO

SDNerd
Master of the twisties

Postby SDNerd » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:59 pm

JohnJJr wrote:I have to admit every time i've seen one of these around where i ride i think to myself " I wish i could test ride that thing " they look like they handle like a dream ....... But everyone out here says there's no service locations around and parts not all that easy to get your hands on ..... But yes sweet look'n bikes IMHO

Believe it or not, its not difficult to get a demo on an MV. I've even had the good fortune of trying out the entire line at the track (not the newest triples, and the 800 in the pic isn't available yet). Of course, if you bin it - you own it.

Parts, I understand from the counter guys at the local stealer (who I've been aquainted with for years), who have been very honest about the challenges with MVs - can be a pain to get. I was told that everything comes through their office in NYC (not joking), and its seems there's but one grossly overworked guy they deal with for everything. Apparently it's not parts availability or delivery times from Italy, but lack of people to process the orders in the US: Sometimes it can take a couple of weeks for them to even receive acknowledgement of an order ... I'm guessing that MV is aware of this, and must know well at this point that to achieve their growth objectives globally, this is an area in need of attention. Not unlike KTM historically.

I've asked "... is it better or worse than Aprilia?", for which they are also a long time stealer: "... the bikes are better, and have generally needed less attention, but if someone throws one down, it can take some time to get everything - in that way worse than Aprilia ...".

Given the sheer number of issues the SDs have all had - mainly due to poor engineering, and perhaps more importantly, poor testing and customer service - buying an MV doesn't worry me. That said, I WILL NOT be the first on the block to have a new model from them, and I'm optimistic that they will improve their US parts pipeline.

As I've remarked elsewhere, I will state again: I don't need or really want 185 hp (or whatever ridiculous number north of 150 RWHP claimed) in my everyday naked street bike. A wailing 800 triple with 120 RWHP would suit me just fine.

Unlike many here however, I am not ready to abandon my SD. It still brings a smile to my face every time whack the throttle, which it perversely encourages me to do regularly on even the shortest of trips. It's like that - and I've not swung a leg over many bikes that seem to cater to these urban and twisty indulgences so well. :D

Stratkat
Trackday hero

Postby Stratkat » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:53 am

i cant imagine getting rid of my SD either, as much as i hate it sometimes. ive wanted to sell it several times but after a while away,
usually waiting for parts, i cant wait to get back to it. thing is ive gotten it pretty much where i want it, plus i finally own the thing free and clear!

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:04 am

MCN this week has a quote from KTM saying its expected to be launched and selling by Oct 2013. Great news if true! Not that I can afford one mind :cry:
"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realise that it's not worth the f*cking effort. There is a difference."
The late Bill Hicks

BassAgent

Postby BassAgent » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:39 am

Colonel_Klinck wrote:MCN this week has a quote from KTM saying its expected to be launched and selling by Oct 2013. Great news if true! Not that I can afford one mind :cry:
Oh damn time for me to save :) We have any idea on the OTD price roughly yet?
Current bike: 2006 Speed Triple
Scotts Steering stabilizer\\Bi-xenon projector HID retrofit+AngelEye\\MOFSET reg/rec

boney95
Stunt rider

Postby boney95 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:24 am

Stratkat wrote:i cant imagine getting rid of my SD either, as much as i hate it sometimes. ive wanted to sell it several times but after a while away,
usually waiting for parts, i cant wait to get back to it. thing is ive gotten it pretty much where i want it, plus i finally own the thing free and clear!

Same thing here, I just paid mine off, it's a damn good feeling! Now it's time to save up a down payment and some gear/mod money for an EXC to complete me.
That's what I love about these high school girls, man. I get older, they stay the same age.

Stratkat
Trackday hero

Postby Stratkat » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:03 am

Well i found this pricing for the new adventure so the SD cant be too far off

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/kt ... ng-europe/

So what does the European pricing tell us about the cost of these bikes in North America? Well if KTM continues with its current pricing scheme, we can expect to see an almost 1:1 conversion rate from euros to dollars (e.g. the KTM 990 Supermoto T costs €13,295 in the EU, while it is priced at $13,999).
This means that the loaded KTM 1190 Adventure & KTM 1190 Adventure R will hit dealers with a price tag in the $15,500 range, making both bikes very competitive in this market segment, assuming both are brought to North America. It will be interesting to see how BMW Motorrad prices the all-new 2013 BMW R1200GS against KTM’s potent offerings.

BassAgent

Postby BassAgent » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:55 pm

The price will be doable for me. I just hope i dont regret being one of the first round owners by running into a bunch of issues hahaha
Scotts Steering stabilizer\\Bi-xenon projector HID retrofit+AngelEye\\MOFSET reg/rec

marksim
Two wheeled terror

Postby marksim » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:00 pm

BassAgent wrote:The price will be doable for me. I just hope i dont regret being one of the first round owners by running into a bunch of issues hahaha

Yes i know what you meen and also will the R model be coming out later.
I said i would never buy a brand new bike again. But wait a year to let someone else take the initial drive off the forecourt loss.
Its just this bike just turns me on so much LOL
Present Bikes
KTM SDR 07
129.23 bhp 77.53 ft/lb
Remus hex carbon cans,08 SDR Headers,Bob Farnham Gas flowed and map,,Moto box,flies,shafts & SAS removed,RC8R stacks,Moto Sliders.Brembo M/C
Yam R6 trackbike
Kwak KR1S
Suz RGV 250 VJ21
Yam RD400F

CEREC1
Trackday hero

Postby CEREC1 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:52 pm

marksim wrote:
BassAgent wrote:The price will be doable for me. I just hope i dont regret being one of the first round owners by running into a bunch of issues hahaha

Yes i know what you meen and also will the R model be coming out later.
I said i would never buy a brand new bike again. But wait a year to let someone else take the initial drive off the forecourt loss.
Its just this bike just turns me on so much LOL

Will there be an R :?:
RC8 is just one model now. No orange frame, no sale :!:
2007 SDR Full Akra Evo
2009 RC8R
1997 RGV 250(sweet)
2001 VTR SP1

AGRO!
Trackday hero

Postby AGRO! » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:37 pm

Hows the S3 going?
All I want to do is ride my bike and live in peace :)

2009 SUPER DUKE, 2011 Aprilia RS 125, 07 Honda lead scooter!

BassAgent

Postby BassAgent » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:11 am

AGRO! wrote:

Hows the S3 going?
I really like it alot, it's a pretty calm and smooth beast. I like to use it for more commuting. It's a lot easier on my back injury than commuting on my GSXR haha. I don't regret the purchase at all!

fatbob
Stunt rider

Postby fatbob » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:49 pm

October isn't far away :)

mick 990
Minimoto racer

Postby mick 990 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:09 pm

Super Duke 990 2007 - Akrapovic Evolution - Moto Hooligan - SAS

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:54 pm

Where did you find these? Still looks unfinished.
"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realise that it's not worth the f*cking effort. There is a difference."
The late Bill Hicks

PreviousNext

Return to Hooliganism