2015 KTM SuperDuke 1290 - Oil Filter Fail (Video)

problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
User avatar
dbroaddu
Minimoto racer
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:29 am
Location: Michigan

2015 KTM SuperDuke 1290 - Oil Filter Fail (Video)

Postby dbroaddu » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:17 pm

Here's what I found on my first oil change on new 2015 Super Duke 1290... :x

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNTjZs_yMHI

User avatar
alobar
Two wheeled terror
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:39 pm
Location: Larissa,Greece

Re: 2015 KTM SuperDuke 1290 - Oil Filter Fail (Video)

Postby alobar » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:05 pm

for the bike to be under warranty, the services have to be done at an orange service point, don't they?

Why didn't you go to an authorised service point to do the service and if this came up you would have the right to ask for what you are entitled to.
Now, i don't think you can prove something at the dealer because he could easily say that you put that on purspose or so on.

I don't know if this parts are installed in the factory or at the dealer when you get the bike.
can this be due to a faulty engine maybe?

I have also a 2015 model and during the 1st service the oil filter came intact.

User avatar
AZ1290R
Minimoto racer
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:51 am

Re: 2015 KTM SuperDuke 1290 - Oil Filter Fail (Video)

Postby AZ1290R » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:37 pm

KTM would argue that it is within spec. :mrgreen:
AZ1290R

2004 Black Lab mix
2006 American Dingo
2005 Acura TL
35 previous bikes and quads.
Current 2014 SD 1290

User avatar
xrpilot
Two wheeled terror
 
Posts: 243
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:13 pm
Location: Right over here

Re: 2015 KTM SuperDuke 1290 - Oil Filter Fail (Video)

Postby xrpilot » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:37 pm

alobar wrote:for the bike to be under warranty, the services have to be done at an orange service point, don't they?

Why didn't you go to an authorised service point to do the service and if this came up you would have the right to ask for what you are entitled to.
Now, i don't think you can prove something at the dealer because he could easily say that you put that on purspose or so on.

I don't know if this parts are installed in the factory or at the dealer when you get the bike.
can this be due to a faulty engine maybe?

I have also a 2015 model and during the 1st service the oil filter came intact.



Not in the US, refer to the The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)) The fact that you have video is a bonus if something happened to your engine and they try to give you any crap.

By the way to the OP, did you finish up the oil change? Engine should be fine, but like you I would be plenty pissed off

User avatar
dbroaddu
Minimoto racer
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:29 am
Location: Michigan

Re: 2015 KTM SuperDuke 1290 - Oil Filter Fail (Video)

Postby dbroaddu » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:17 pm

Yes I finished the oil change I had already as a preemptive decided to purchase a Scott stainless steel oil filter anyway just because I had seen a previous post about this as a possibility with these OEM oil filters. I haven't ridden the bike yet but I will keep you guys posted if I notice anything different in terms of how it runs etc.

User avatar
dbroaddu
Minimoto racer
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:29 am
Location: Michigan

Re: 2015 KTM SuperDuke 1290 - Oil Filter Fail (Video)

Postby dbroaddu » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:18 pm

Also I just spoke with the dealer and here's a follow-up video...

http://youtu.be/vylozsoKXxc

Op_Engineer
Minimoto racer
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:41 pm

Re: 2015 KTM SuperDuke 1290 - Oil Filter Fail (Video)

Postby Op_Engineer » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:13 pm

Can you please share the part number of the oem filter???

User avatar
dbroaddu
Minimoto racer
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:29 am
Location: Michigan

Re: 2015 KTM SuperDuke 1290 - Oil Filter Fail (Video)

Postby dbroaddu » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:04 pm

Op_Engineer wrote:Can you please share the part number of the oem filter???


Here it is ...

Image

User avatar
ktmguy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6100
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:23 am
Location: Townsville Qld, Aussie.

Re: 2015 KTM SuperDuke 1290 - Oil Filter Fail (Video)

Postby ktmguy » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:14 am

Mate, I really feel for you!

The only suggestion I can make is to completely cover your arse as you more or less did with this video. Also get the dealer to write it up properly with photographic evidence.
I would also keep that oil and check for metallic residue and so in it, filter it if you must.

Next is to get the bike running and VERY CLOSELY listen to the engine. If you hear any cam chain noise or suspect any abnormalities, insist on a warranty replacement!

I see in the video you're pissed off (probably also an understatement).

All I can so to KTM with their cheap parts and shitty quality control backed up by silly statements is that the joy of good sales won't last.
After a week of thinking I might actually consider not to buy a new 1290 to replace the accident write off!
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!


Image

Wa2fst
Two wheeled terror
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon May 05, 2014 1:40 am
Location: Michigan

Re: 2015 KTM SuperDuke 1290 - Oil Filter Fail (Video)

Postby Wa2fst » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:35 am

Not to burst any bubbles but that actually is what a twisted filter catriidge looks like. A collapsed or a cavitated oil filter can look the same but would have crushed the aluminium ends. Worst case the filter was smashed going in and once the oil got in the paper would just make it worse. I do agree its shitty it was installed wrong from the beginning and was prob. A Friday bike build.

I hope the guys at championship hook you up. I bought mine there and they really took care of me. But you can always get a second opinion and go to grace performance in kimball michigan. I like those guys in the service dept. but im not sure how hard they lean on the techs. But i do my own servicing as well cause im the only one i trust.
I peck on an ipad with 1 finger. Idc about punctuation or capitalization

User avatar
lc4
Stunt rider
 
Posts: 841
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:30 am
Location: Australia

Re: 2015 KTM SuperDuke 1290 - Oil Filter Fail (Video)

Postby lc4 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:52 am

I`m hoping mine does not come out this way, however looking at it if there was enough restriction I would assume the oil pressure warning light would be showing?
The end caps still look to be in shape so I don`t think oil has bypassed the filter.
Regardless of the shape of the paper the surface area has not changed even though it has crushed in on two sides the restriction through the paper would be no different.
The oil screens in the video have twisted,I have seen this on my EXC where they bottom out on the engine case and the last 1/4 turn when reinstalling causes the screen to twist.

User avatar
dbroaddu
Minimoto racer
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:29 am
Location: Michigan

Re: 2015 KTM SuperDuke 1290 - Oil Filter Fail (Video)

Postby dbroaddu » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:33 am

Wa2fst wrote:Not to burst any bubbles but that actually is what a twisted filter catriidge looks like. A collapsed or a cavitated oil filter can look the same but would have crushed the aluminium ends. Worst case the filter was smashed going in and once the oil got in the paper would just make it worse. I do agree its shitty it was installed wrong from the beginning and was prob. A Friday bike build.

I hope the guys at championship hook you up. I bought mine there and they really took care of me. But you can always get a second opinion and go to grace performance in kimball michigan. I like those guys in the service dept. but im not sure how hard they lean on the techs. But i do my own servicing as well cause im the only one i trust.


Take a look at these two photos, how could this thing get installed in such a way that would crush the internal perforated metal core mesh? Even though the end caps are not overly deformed, the core is collapsed completely basically in the center of the filter. I just don't see how that could happen at installation there's no twisting movements required to install these filters they get pushed straight in and then the cap goes straight on it and bolted down it doesn't get twisted or screwed in at all... And even if it did I just can't see how it would collapse like that.
Image
Image

User avatar
ktmguy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6100
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:23 am
Location: Townsville Qld, Aussie.

Re: 2015 KTM SuperDuke 1290 - Oil Filter Fail (Video)

Postby ktmguy » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:49 am

The theory is that the bypass valve fails or sticks.
I haven't been able to confirm this but the results seem to point in that direction.

Since it is a dry sump system with eaton pumps the pressure can be really high if an obstruction occurs.
If the bypass valve doesn't work and the engine is revved the pressure can easily compress a filter like that.
It turns the circuit before the obstruction in to an hydraulic pump powered by a 160 bhp engine, enough pressure there to compress most things if applied to small surface.
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!


Image

User avatar
dbroaddu
Minimoto racer
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:29 am
Location: Michigan

Re: 2015 KTM SuperDuke 1290 - Oil Filter Fail (Video)

Postby dbroaddu » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:59 am

ktmguy wrote:The theory is that the bypass valve fails or sticks.
I haven't been able to confirm this but the results seem to point in that direction.

Since it is a dry sump system with eaton pumps the pressure can be really high if an obstruction occurs.
If the bypass valve doesn't work and the engine is revved the pressure can easily compress a filter like that.
It turns the circuit before the obstruction in to an hydraulic pump powered by a 160 bhp engine, enough pressure there to compress most things if applied to small surface.


If that's the case, how do we decide if the bypass valve is bad, or if the fault lies with the filter. I could take it in and have the oil pressure tested per the shop manual, however Murphy's law would dictate that the suspect bypass valve wouldn't malfunction then... only later on during a ride. Should I ride it around for a couple hundred miles on the on the Scotts filter, and then inspect it, and see if it's "pulling" in on itself???

User avatar
lc4
Stunt rider
 
Posts: 841
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:30 am
Location: Australia

Re: 2015 KTM SuperDuke 1290 - Oil Filter Fail (Video)

Postby lc4 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:35 am

Could also come down to the oil viscosity, your ambient conditions and how you go about warming your engine.
I see some people blip the throttle or run over idle revs to get the bike up to temp, not good with cold "thick" oil.

User avatar
ktmguy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6100
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:23 am
Location: Townsville Qld, Aussie.

Re: 2015 KTM SuperDuke 1290 - Oil Filter Fail (Video)

Postby ktmguy » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:52 am

dbroaddu wrote:If that's the case, how do we decide if the bypass valve is bad, or if the fault lies with the filter. I could take it in and have the oil pressure tested per the shop manual, however Murphy's law would dictate that the suspect bypass valve wouldn't malfunction then... only later on during a ride. Should I ride it around for a couple hundred miles on the on the Scotts filter, and then inspect it, and see if it's "pulling" in on itself???


The fault is within the filter.

It is a know fact for a while and happened a fair bit on the dirtbikes too despite the fact the filter is shorter in length.

Before we go in to overly long discussions, stuff like this happens and it is not a part produced by KTM. What I blame KTM for is the same as with the hub, slow response and hope the problem goes away by itself!
They rather risk a few blown engines or potential dangerous situations (in case of the hub) than do a recall.

Anyone who is worried by this filter issue should consider one of these. I ordered one and it's under way. I'll put it in straight away if I buy a 1290 again. They flow more oil too which is a good thing. Wash and refit is nice too.
Replacing it can be done without spilling much oil as tilting the bike on the left hand side will prevent any oil leaking out. Peace of mind! (same manufacturer both made by K&P)
http://www.rottweilerperformance.com/scotts-performance-oil-filter-all-ktm/
http://www.peromotorsports.com/k-p-engineering-2161-reuseable-stainless-steel-micronic-oil-filter/
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!


Image

User avatar
Bluetrees
Minimoto racer
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:34 pm
Location: Southern New England

Re: 2015 KTM SuperDuke 1290 - Oil Filter Fail (Video)

Postby Bluetrees » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:22 am

In the US we have the NHTSA, U.S. DOT's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

You can file a complaint that may initiate a recall. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

From that site,
Why your complaint is important

Your complaint information will be entered into NHTSA-ODI's vehicle owner's complaint database and used with other complaints to determine if a safety-related defect trend exists. More...

If a safety-related defect exists in a motor vehicle or item of motor vehicle equipment, the manufacturer must provide a remedy at no cost to the owner. Your complaint is the first step in the process.
We do not have to receive a specific number of complaints before we look into a problem. We gather all available information on a problem. Your complaint is important to us.


I went to the site this morning and there were two complaints filed on the 2014 Adventure, one being rear brake the other airbox. No complaints filed for oil filter.

There wasn't a single complaint for the 2014-15 SDR, oil filter, rear hub, nothing.

I would encourage anyone in the US with the oil filter issue or any other issue to file a complaint.
If the NHTSA deems it systemic they may force a recall by KTM

Check that site out.

User avatar
dbroaddu
Minimoto racer
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:29 am
Location: Michigan

Re: 2015 KTM SuperDuke 1290 - Oil Filter Fail (Video)

Postby dbroaddu » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:23 pm

Bluetrees wrote:In the US we have the NHTSA, U.S. DOT's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

You can file a complaint that may initiate a recall. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/


Good call, I filed one on my filter issue... lets get these things out there. Lets use the tools available to try and encourage quality and accountability... it's our hard earned money on these bikes!

User avatar
SDNerd
Master of the twisties
 
Posts: 3331
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:36 am
Location: Kalifornistan

Re: 2015 KTM SuperDuke 1290 - Oil Filter Fail (Video)

Postby SDNerd » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:07 pm

I wan to say this is not a "new" problem with the newest SDs/ADVs ... Reported elsewhere (by others) on other forums also - ?

You don't work for Scott do you? :wink:

While I can appreciate the problem here - and I have to say that removing the filter on my 990's first change, was minor PITA - other than the apparent deformation, I'm not sure it matters (a statement made arguably out of ignorance).

The filter's internal structural "baffle" is so full of holes and such thin sheet metal, I don't think a lot of force would be required to achieve this. I'm willing to bet that some here could crush the filter in their hand ... Keep in mind, that these cartridges don't have the additional structural integrity of a spin on (with its hard shell).There are at least couple of reasons I can immediately envision causing this - and again, I'm not sure it matters.

Why might it not matter IMO? The filter doesn't appear to have disintegrated - that's a really good thing. It doesn't "look" like it was caused by water (can't tell from the video honestly, but am assuming there hasn't been coolant loss -?) - a path many here have endured ... The filter was probably functioning as well as intended, without significant impact (negative) on oil pressure or distribution. If it were significant - I have to believe the engine would get pretty noisy in places, and/or the oil pressure warning indicators would have lit up the console.

I think it great that you are bringing this to the attention of all that could possibly be interested on the interwebs - but this perhaps is more a warranty matter (I haven't looked at the post-stealer video yet) than anything else. I hope you get a gratuitous check out of the oil pressure, sensors, etc.; if not a oil/filter change as well.

Learn to stop worrying and love the bomb.

User avatar
ktmguy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6100
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:23 am
Location: Townsville Qld, Aussie.

Re: 2015 KTM SuperDuke 1290 - Oil Filter Fail (Video)

Postby ktmguy » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:12 pm

SDNerd wrote:I wan to say this is not a "new" problem with the newest SDs/ADVs ... Reported elsewhere (by others) on other forums also - ?

You don't work for Scott do you? :wink:

While I can appreciate the problem here - and I have to say that removing the filter on my 990's first change, was minor PITA - other than the apparent deformation, I'm not sure it matters (a statement made arguably out of ignorance).

The filter's internal structural "baffle" is so full of holes and such thin sheet metal, I don't think a lot of force would be required to achieve this. I'm willing to bet that some here could crush the filter in their hand ... Keep in mind, that these cartridges don't have the additional structural integrity of a spin on (with its hard shell).There are at least couple of reasons I can immediately envision causing this - and again, I'm not sure it matters.

Learn to stop worrying and love the bomb.


There have been engines damaged by low oil pressure due to this issue nerd! Both on dirtbikes, ADV's and recently to another chap on the forum here.
He complained about rattling cam chains and I told him about the filter. The dealer pulled it out and that was the reason, probably other damage too from metal to metal contact.
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!


Image

User avatar
rm2092
Minimoto racer
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:19 am
Location: New Orleans, La.

Re: 2015 KTM SuperDuke 1290 - Oil Filter Fail (Video)

Postby rm2092 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:49 pm

2015 1290 Superduke, New Orleans La.
MODS: AustinRACING GP3/V3 Exhaust, RACEFOXX carbonfiber front fender.

User avatar
SDNerd
Master of the twisties
 
Posts: 3331
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:36 am
Location: Kalifornistan

Re: 2015 KTM SuperDuke 1290 - Oil Filter Fail (Video)

Postby SDNerd » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:07 am

ktmguy wrote:There have been engines damaged by low oil pressure due to this issue nerd! Both on dirtbikes, ADV's and recently to another chap on the forum here.
He complained about rattling cam chains and I told him about the filter. The dealer pulled it out and that was the reason, probably other damage too from metal to metal contact.


There certainly have been many an engine that have been damaged by low oil pressure - and not all were KTMs! :mrgreen:

It's the things you describe like cam chain rattling, cams/valvetrain clattering, or the low oil pressure indicator burning one's retinas that are concerning and potential indicators of inadequate lubrication somewhere. Don't get me wrong - I do take such things seriously. I do not know if these were indicators for the OP, but the filter alone - unless something was blocking the filter, or the filter media was inadequately porous (and know to be such), if still reasonably "sealed" around the inlet - can usually still do its job if its deformed somewhat. All I am trying to state - not suggesting that the bike doesn't have an issue - even if that meant something simple like incorrect installation of the filter, incorrect model of filter, dimensionally defective filter, ...

What I'm trying to state is that a deformed filter - albeit unusual - doesn't necessarily mean that there was a problem in filtration or oil pressure per se. As noted (above), something worth having checked out (under warranty or otherwise).

User avatar
ktmguy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6100
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:23 am
Location: Townsville Qld, Aussie.

Re: 2015 KTM SuperDuke 1290 - Oil Filter Fail (Video)

Postby ktmguy » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:21 am

SDNerd wrote:
ktmguy wrote:There have been engines damaged by low oil pressure due to this issue nerd! Both on dirtbikes, ADV's and recently to another chap on the forum here.
He complained about rattling cam chains and I told him about the filter. The dealer pulled it out and that was the reason, probably other damage too from metal to metal contact.


There certainly have been many an engine that have been damaged by low oil pressure - and not all were KTMs! :mrgreen:

It's the things you describe like cam chain rattling, cams/valvetrain clattering, or the low oil pressure indicator burning one's retinas that are concerning and potential indicators of inadequate lubrication somewhere. Don't get me wrong - I do take such things seriously. I do not know if these were indicators for the OP, but the filter alone - unless something was blocking the filter, or the filter media was inadequately porous (and know to be such), if still reasonably "sealed" around the inlet - can usually still do its job if its deformed somewhat. All I am trying to state - not suggesting that the bike doesn't have an issue - even if that meant something simple like incorrect installation of the filter, incorrect model of filter, dimensionally defective filter, ...

What I'm trying to state is that a deformed filter - albeit unusual - doesn't necessarily mean that there was a problem in filtration or oil pressure per se. As noted (above), something worth having checked out (under warranty or otherwise).


Totally agree with you. I haven't personally experienced the problem otherwise I would have delved in to it till I could find what's causing this. In the dirt bike I use a K&N filter and so far after several oil changes no issues.
In the 1290 I don't know as the first service was done at the dealer and I haven't opened it since. I was going to change oil and filter when the scotts filter arrived, not a fan of leaving oil in for 15000km! Well no need to do that anymore.
In regards to the filter, I know there has been mention a few times of bypass valves problems, which makes sense. We used to play around with the pressure in performance engines by changing the springs. I know when there is too much pressure it causes heaps of issues and robs tons of power. On the other hand if something gets blocked or the pressure is too low, there are dire consequences in lifespan of an engine.

I will fit the scotts filter straight away if I get another 1290!
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!


Image

User avatar
Sarasota_Steve
moderator
 
Posts: 1372
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:14 pm
Location: Sarasota, FL, USA

Re: 2015 KTM SuperDuke 1290 - Oil Filter Fail (Video)

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:31 am

ktmguy wrote:I will fit the scotts filter straight away if I get another 1290!


So if you don't get another 1290 are you going to be apriliaguy? Bmwguy? Hondaguy? (Shivers) KawiH2guy? (Now we are talking) :)


Sarasota_Steve
Black 08 990
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
18 1290 SDR
09 Aprilia Sportcity
04 SV650

Sully
Two wheeled terror
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:49 pm

Re: 2015 KTM SuperDuke 1290 - Oil Filter Fail (Video)

Postby Sully » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:03 am

dbroaddu wrote:Here's what I found on my first oil change on new 2015 Super Duke 1290... :x

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNTjZs_yMHI


Im the one who posted on your youtube vid of this same thing happening to me, My filter was stuck in the motor, had to poke a hole in the
end cap, insert a screw then pulled it out with pliers.
heres the pix

Image

Image

Image

Also found one of my screens with a small tear in it

Image

Next

Return to Technical - Dr F's Words of Wisdom

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests