[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 997: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 997: Use of undefined constant personal_album_id - assumed 'personal_album_id' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 997: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 997: Use of undefined constant user_images - assumed 'user_images' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4778: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3901)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3901)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3901)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3901)
superduke forum • View topic - Dash replacement?

Dash replacement?

problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
sunnbmx
Two wheeled terror

Dash replacement?

Postby sunnbmx » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:32 pm

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I have posted. Mainly because I broke a bone in my right foot last December then a bone in my left wrist last month. So I have tried to avoid the forum while I can't ride so I don't get too frustrated.

What I do have is a new instrument cluster to install. My temperature guage shows the bike running hot when its not. So I've been sent a new one under warrenty. As my local KTM dealer literally shut their doors 2 weeks ago I had the new one sent directly to me to fit myself.

I was wondering if anyone has removed/replaced/installed the dash/instruments on an 09 (or 07/08) SD?

Any tips and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
sunn

Lowrance
Trackday hero

Re: Dash replacement?

Postby Lowrance » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:12 pm

Don't have a lot as it shoould be straight forward. KTM should have set the ks for your bike (if not hten you're back to ZERO ks..lucky bastard).

What part of Oz are you from? Which dealer closed? Sign of the times or just a one off?

I used to live in the Alice and Woody @ Race took care of me while I was there. Pretty good bloke.

John

Oh yeah, check that the wheel dimension is set for the 17 on the SD. S/B 1876mm or something similar. Believe it says in the owners manual.

sunnbmx
Two wheeled terror

Postby sunnbmx » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:29 am

G'day Lawrence,

Back to Zero ks :D

I'm in Canberra and I think the dealer(Gecko/Ducati Canberra) just decided to call it a day. So Canberra currently doesn't have a KTM or Ducati dealer!! Pretty sad for the capital city of Australia!

Do I need to disconnect the battery before I start unplugging and plugging things back in?

sunnbmx
Two wheeled terror

Postby sunnbmx » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:37 am

Sorry guys,

Do I need to disconnect the battery before plugging in the new dash?

Thanks

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:44 am

On all major electrical work it is wise to disconnect the battery!
No need to f arround in the battery box, just undo the big cable on the starter relay which is fitted to the battery box. Easier!!!
Make sure all is dead before proceed.

All the connections to the dash are proper connectors so there is no wiring to do from memory just unplug and plug back in.
Sometimes a bit fiddly in the headlight and if you're not sure mark things.
As far as I remember nothing dramatic.

sunnbmx
Two wheeled terror

Postby sunnbmx » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:46 am

Awesome

Thanks ktmguy!!

Now I know what I'll be doing tomorrow.

samba
Trackday hero

Postby samba » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:39 pm

tis easy as pie, nothing complicated at all mate :wink:
bbbbrrrrrmmmmmm......brrrmmmmmm.....nnnyyyyymmmmmmmmm

preey
Stunt rider

Postby preey » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:16 pm

Its just plug and play & job done
if you are realy lucky it will be set at 00000 just depends if your delar told them your milage if not bouns :P

sunnbmx
Two wheeled terror

Postby sunnbmx » Sun May 01, 2011 8:29 am

Well, I was doing really well.

Disconnected the starter cable just as ktmguy said. Everything seemed dead.

I manage to figure out how to split the headlight mask to take the speedo and the speedo mount out (no way you can undo the torx screws holding the two together inside the mask). Unplugged the old (2009) speedo and plugged in the new (2010) speedo.

Reconnected the starter cable and switched on the ingition.

Only thing working was the flashing FI light. Faaark!

Bike starts and runs but nothing on the dash comes up. No tacho or digital info.

Any help or suggestion again. Please

thanks
Daniel

Peachy00
Two wheeled terror

Postby Peachy00 » Sun May 01, 2011 12:18 pm

I changed mine not so long ago. I did the same as you, all exept for disconnecting the battery. I just split the mask, un screwed and unplugged the old one. Put in the new one and that was that. Plug and play. I had no fi light problems at all. As said, did the dealer set the odometer before giving it too you? Could anything have gone wrong there? I wonder if having the power disconnected when connecting the new unit could make a difference?

preey
Stunt rider

Postby preey » Sun May 01, 2011 12:25 pm

as above i have done 3 lots of clocks now i have never unplugged the power leads just unplugged the clocks then plug the new ones in job done i have a set of clocks on ebay now to show the milage i just unplugged my clocks on my 2010 sdr and plugged the old ones in job done all lite up no warning lights and photo taken so i can show the milage on the photo for ebay

Peachy00
Two wheeled terror

Postby Peachy00 » Sun May 01, 2011 12:27 pm

Meant to say mine was an '08 model.

sunnbmx
Two wheeled terror

Postby sunnbmx » Sun May 01, 2011 1:17 pm

I got my speedo directly from the KTM distributor as the local dealer closed up about 4 weeks back. As a result the odometer has not been set, so it should be back to zero. As my old one only had 700km I'm not too fussed about the km's.

I thought that the 2009 speedo and 2010 speedo should be the same. Maybe they aren't?

Tomorrow I'll unplug the dash, reconnect the battery and plug the dash back in. Fingers crossed that's all I need to do.

Thanks for the replies fellas!

MrZ32
Trackday hero

Postby MrZ32 » Sun May 01, 2011 1:20 pm

08 SD, WP Dampener, 'Suspension Improvements" tuned sus (springs, valves, shim stacks ), KTM cowl, R&G carbon covers, Termi Pipes (from a duc 998), Grim990 Airbox, breather mod, SAS plates, tuneECU PDI tune, HM QS, JTM VS & DVS

preey
Stunt rider

Postby preey » Sun May 01, 2011 1:39 pm

sunnbmx
Two wheeled terror

Postby sunnbmx » Sun May 01, 2011 11:09 pm

Thanks preey,

I'll have another look today. I'll plug the old clocks back in to make sure they work then try the new ones again. :?

sunnbmx
Two wheeled terror

Postby sunnbmx » Tue May 03, 2011 7:10 am

Back to the drawing board!

Now both the new and old dash are doing the same thing:

When everything is hooked up and the ignition left OFF the FI light blinks continuously and there is a little buzzing noise that goes with the blinking FI light. The buzzing noise is the tacho needle vibrating a tiny amount.

When the ignition is ON both dash's are completely dead but the bike still starts.

Have spoken with KTM Australia and they will get back to me.

Anyone seen or heard of this?

samba
Trackday hero

Postby samba » Tue May 03, 2011 12:35 pm

sunnbmx
Two wheeled terror

Postby sunnbmx » Tue May 03, 2011 11:20 pm

Firstly, Your avatar is f'n funny samba!

As I don't have an alarm on my bike I think I'll double check that I didn't accidently unplug anything else.

cheers

Hope I hear back from KTM today!

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Wed May 04, 2011 2:02 am

I haven't got access to the wiring diagram at the moment but is it possible you missed an negative earth connection to the dash somewhere?
You can download the diagram from the how to section (I can't at work) and have a look at them.

samba
Trackday hero

Postby samba » Wed May 04, 2011 7:18 am

samba
Trackday hero

Postby samba » Wed May 04, 2011 7:19 am

ignore the writing, it's more for help when converting from 05 to 07 clocks. The wires however are relevant to you :wink:

sunnbmx
Two wheeled terror

Postby sunnbmx » Thu May 05, 2011 3:37 am

samba, you are a bloody genius :!:

It was the connecter with the blue/red and purple/brown wires. I didn't unplug it but it was loose. Maybe that's why my old dash showed the wrong temperature?

On the brake-side(right) of the 09 mask is a plate that secures some connectors. The connector second from the top (blue/red and purple/brown wires) was not clipped into the connector at the back properly. There's plenty of cable there. But maybe when I opened the mask it was enough to pull the connecter enough to lose contact but not seperate?

Anyway, you knew exactly what to look for and KTM Australia didn't. I'll give them a call to let them know how to fix it :wink:

Thanks again for everyones help. The combined knowledge and passion on this site far outweighs the local support around here. :D
Daniel

samba
Trackday hero

Postby samba » Thu May 05, 2011 7:17 am

and that's why we love forums 8)

p.s. genius is a bit stong, but thanks :lol: :lol: I remember that feeling you get when the clocks finally light up!!

Linga
Wheelie king

Postby Linga » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:26 am

PM sent on the old instrument cluster.

Next

Return to Technical - Dr F's Words of Wisdom