Clutch Bleeding / How to bleed clutch

Done a good mod that people might want to copy? Post it here - full step-by-step instructions and pix.

FAQs can go in here too
jambox
Trackday hero

Re: Clutch Bleeding / How to bleed clutch

Postby jambox » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:27 pm

I'll say again, why is this not stickied? Sod it, I'm gonna put a link in the must read thread....
05/06 SD, too raw for the journos!

Stratkat
Trackday hero

Postby Stratkat » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:32 pm

Magura sells a clutch bleed kit that has 2 syringes, hardware, & fluid for like $22.00

http://www.ktmtwins.com/ktm-magura-clutch-bleed-kit

their photo shows 1 syringe but the kit came with both.

MADDOG53
Race ace

Postby MADDOG53 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:51 pm

Yep like $30 with shipping,,,,,,
BLACK is BACK

Stratkat
Trackday hero

Postby Stratkat » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:54 am

MADDOG53 wrote:Yep like $30 with shipping,,,,,,

so go buy it at the Honda dealer then. im just saying its out there thats all.
i needed other KTM specific parts so the shipping to VA ($21.00) was amortized with the whole order.

MADDOG53
Race ace

Postby MADDOG53 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:35 am

Honda dealer won't cut me any slack on the price either,,,they all want their $10 shipping,,,just been wondering if there's a cheaper place to buy it but that seems to be the price for that kit,,,I didn't realise it had the two syringes thought it was just one,,,,,,
BLACK is BACK

alank
Minimoto racer

Postby alank » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:31 pm

Just an update with my experience. Tried it with syringes 50ml, never really got enough pressure (too large piston size ?) and tubes I had weren't a good fit - oil seemed to leak from bleed nipple thread etc etc - my own cheapy set up..... Maybe for all the time & mess better to buy a kit.

Anyway didn't take any notice of the bleed nipple on slave cylinder till later - put a tube on that pressured it then released the bleed - bingo - tube shot off - oil everywhere but nipped bleed up quickly and seems to have done the job - so my suggestion try the top bleed first if there's air in it. If you're just changing oil and no air in system can feed reservoir and pump it out the master cylinder via a simple tube & drain the 'conventional' way till clean new oil comes out.

Alan.

alank
Minimoto racer

Postby alank » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:47 pm

alank wrote:Just an update with my experience. Tried it with syringes 50ml, never really got enough pressure (too large piston size ?) and tubes I had weren't a good fit - oil seemed to leak from bleed nipple thread etc etc - my own cheapy set up..... Maybe for all the time & mess better to buy a kit.

Anyway didn't take any notice of the bleed nipple on slave cylinder till later - put a tube on that pressured it then released the bleed - bingo - tube shot off - oil everywhere but nipped bleed up quickly and seems to have done the job - so my suggestion try the top bleed first if there's air in it. If you're just changing oil and no air in system can feed reservoir and pump it out the master cylinder via a simple tube & drain the 'conventional' way till clean new oil comes out.

Alan.

Mixed slave & master cylinder up above !
If I was to do it again - Looked at picture of kits and the syringes seem a smaller diameter, not sure you need 50ml either so a longer narrow syringe to increase pressure - wondered if a better bleed screw would help to stop it leaking and get a better tube fit. A

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:14 pm

Thanks for bumping this thread. I'll be doing this today on my lunch break.
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

xrpilot
Two wheeled terror

Postby xrpilot » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:47 pm

Aphex wrote:Thanks for bumping this thread. I'll be doing this today on my lunch break.

Kind of ironic that this popped up, I am changing my slave this afternoon :)

kenscottphoto
Two wheeled terror

Postby kenscottphoto » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:21 pm

Bumping this old thread as I did a bunch of work on my bike over the weekend. 1 bottle of HYDRAULIC FLUID 75, 100ml was plenty to clean out the clutch.

https://www.motorex.com/en-us/moto-line ... -fluid-75/

All the best and thanks for a great article!

Previous

Return to How to do it!