KTM DUKE 690 R

Got/want another KTM? Post you questions and experiences here.
fakujak72
Two wheeled terror

KTM DUKE 690 R

Postby fakujak72 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:12 pm

OK, OK,

Been a couple of years since I have been on........ :twisted:

KTMs are Soooo... Bloody addictive. (Tell me! I've had 7 of the Streetbike fockers. :lol: )

Anyways. After having a Duke 1/3xDuke 2s/ And a Duke 3.(With a couple of Superdukes inbetween :mrgreen: )

I really want to Chop in my Specced '07 R1 for either a Superduke "R" or a Duke "R" with some prize parts.

Want an "Anytime" Bike (Not a "Do I have to").

Sound familiar?

I need to know? Are them recent Dukes reliable? (Since, I test rided and fedback for yous, nowadays owners. :roll: )

As, all can see. The Duke is actually my favourite for my Jollies.

Do I go Standard or "R"?

What's the difference? I had a 690 with AKRO pipe and it took ages to get sorted.

Will it be easy to slip the can on the "R" and enjoy?
Past bikes. Always "The Bestest". Over the past, 35 years. Mostly KTMs over the past 14years though! 1xDuke/3xDukeII/2xSD990/1xDukeIII/SDR990./Now back to previously owned Duke III.

fakujak72
Two wheeled terror

Re: KTM DUKE 690 R

Postby fakujak72 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:53 pm

2 or 3 days and "No Reply"?

Is there something "Boring" about this post?

Actually I know that most other manufacturers are catching up. But Hey! KTM! The "dogs" when they are going. :mrgreen:

\sorry If most members are being enticed by the deals on RC8s. :lol:

Cheesey. Whizz? I've only been away 2 years!!!! :roll:

Anyone on here, want to contribute as to reliability/Fun factor /Aftermarket and servicing?

Or are most enticed by playthings and fashion?

Not trying to take the piss? I find it difficult to keep up with the latest trend. And am somewhat surprised by some of the uptakes of modern users.

KTM to my mind were always kindof "Out their".

Guess they are just about mainstream nowadays? Although perhaps notsomuch, On the list?
Last edited by fakujak72 on Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Past bikes. Always "The Bestest". Over the past, 35 years. Mostly KTMs over the past 14years though! 1xDuke/3xDukeII/2xSD990/1xDukeIII/SDR990./Now back to previously owned Duke III.

rocketchick
Stunt rider

Postby rocketchick » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:10 pm

A SD is all you need.... Hooliganism galore... Adding pipes :) easy to maintain
What else needs to be said..

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:02 pm

There are very few reliability issues with the SD/R. There can be a throttle snatchy issue but that can be totally dialled out with can, motobox and custom map.

Duke wise you'd be better off asking on the KTM forum as there are only 1 or 2 people here who have owned a Duke that I know of and I'm not sure they were even the Duke 3
"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realise that it's not worth the f*cking effort. There is a difference."
The late Bill Hicks

KTM666
Trackday hero

Postby KTM666 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:57 am

What's the difference? I had a 690 with AKRO pipe and it took ages to get sorted

690 Duke R ....(The other half had a 690 sm with full Akrapovic - see below) on Duke R (Underbelly Akra?) the pipe did not make as much difference as was rumoured to on the 690 Duke, 690SM with a full system was the one to have it made a huge difference (or 690smc)...quick up to 110mph and top out 123mph (in the real world close..... well closer to a 950sm) 690sm are soooooooo much cheaper, to make the most of either bike you need to ride bumpy 'B' roads the 690sm suspension is in a different league on the right road (with a full akrapovic) its a lot of fun....most of the problems with 690 was down to having two fueling maps.....and the dealers only up dating one......her 690sm ran faultless (thanks to Sideways.....now gone :cry: )

All superdukes are very similar mostly the same parts (being very general) if you intend to do alot of track days get the 'R' if not you will be better off getting the SD either will make laugh out loud.... :twisted:
I saw the light...............and it was .....................Orange

fakujak72
Two wheeled terror

Postby fakujak72 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:43 pm

Ta. for the replies folks.

The 690sm with akro is now looking like a good contender. :mrgreen:
I really liked my Duke 3 with the akro but didn't like the fact it was underslung. (Used to do kerbhopping on my Duke2s :) )
I threw lots of cash at my SD but it was a first model and could be tempramental. It was fine in the end but I had had enough.
viewtopic.php?t=73

So I am more conscerned about reliability.

I take it the 2010 SDRs were mapped and sorted?

KTM666
Trackday hero

Postby KTM666 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:56 pm

............er.....No :roll: (on the bright side........you dont need to add bits.......just take off the flies :mrgreen:

fakujak72
Two wheeled terror

Postby fakujak72 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:41 pm

KTM666 wrote:

............er.....No :roll: (on the bright side........you dont need to add bits.......just take off the flies :mrgreen:

FFS! I don't want to be trawling the 120mile round trip. Back and forth to dealers.
I got p*ss*d off with my Duke 3 and Akro in the snow and motorways. That I got fed up. Just after it was sorted/sweet.

So The SDR is still not sorted?

Surely the Duke R is?
Seeing as my Duke 3 with Akro was fine when I chopped it in for my R1 in 2009??

I understand that i would not gain anything, other than a barking exhaust if i got an AKRO fitted to a Duke 3 R.(Please tell me it is a straight swap?)

But hey! It's just what I would like, to wake up them dosey Box drivers.(I am one of course. :? )

KTM.........Don't you just love them?

jambox
Trackday hero

Postby jambox » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:41 pm

fakujak72 wrote:
KTM666 wrote:

FFS! I don't want to be trawling the 120mile round trip. Back and forth to dealers.
I got p*ss*d off with my Duke 3 and Akro in the snow and motorways. That I got fed up. Just after it was sorted/sweet.

So The SDR is still not sorted?

Have a look at the TuneECU thread. It's easy to sort the mapping ourselves now.

KTM666
Trackday hero

Postby KTM666 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:44 am

I understand that i would not gain anything, other than a barking exhaust if i got an AKRO fitted to a Duke 3 R.(Please tell me it is a straight swap?)

Yes its a straight swop....Duke 3 R does gain bhp with Full AKraprovic......just no where near as much as 690sm (Which is the biggest change I have felt putting just an exhaust on a bike....from wheeze and gutless..... to as I said close to 950sm territory :shock: ...Right from tick over to redline..... mostly down to the very narrow down pipes (read pea shooter) on standard system strangling it IMO

Have a look at the TuneECU thread. It's easy to sort the mapping ourselves now.

....Yes you can...but you still should get custom map to get it bang on ......

See link to KTMAX site he was a regular on http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/forum.php

http://www.monomaniacs.nl/mpeople/KTMax

See his dyno results its not the bhp its the torque...and lossing 2 HGV size Catalytic converters......the 690 is already light.....and without these it nearly floats away :shock:

The only bad news is that the full systems are a bit rare

ShadeTheChangingMan
Race ace

Postby ShadeTheChangingMan » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:32 pm

not many Duke III R owners out there I reckon, maybe even less than SDR owners! I think Plipton sold his SD for Duke III R, pm him for advice perhaps?!

I love the Duke III R, I think the Akra is the same for the R as the standard Duke but dont quote me....call your dealer instead.

I've ridden briefly with a standard Duke III on an Akra can and it sounded sweeeet. real sweet. Would lve one as a 3rd bike and have even thought about selling the SDR for one......still not sure but doubt it'll happen as roads I have access too are too fast for it.

Share your results though mate, there are some of us on here who are very interested :D
Black is not a colour; it's a Shade™

Ever the underdog

jambox
Trackday hero

Postby jambox » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:14 pm

ShadeTheChangingMan wrote:not many Duke III R owners out there I reckon, maybe even less than SDR owners! I think Plipton sold his SD for Duke III R, pm him for advice perhaps?!

Currently 27 DukeIIIR's registered in britian, 33 SDR's registered so you were right

ShadeTheChangingMan
Race ace

Postby ShadeTheChangingMan » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:36 pm

love those stats! Can you post a link to the site you use for it please?
Black is not a colour; it's a Shade™

Ever the underdog

fakujak72
Two wheeled terror

Postby fakujak72 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:46 pm

jambox wrote:
ShadeTheChangingMan wrote:not many Duke III R owners out there I reckon, maybe even less than SDR owners! I think Plipton sold his SD for Duke III R, pm him for advice perhaps?!

Currently 27 DukeIIIR's registered in britian, 33 SDR's registered so you were right

OK. Just seen that you can get PCPs on KTMs from a few dealers now.
I am defo looking at the Duke 3 R with akro. for £99Mth :mrgreen:

SDR is sweet. But not an everyday option TMM.
TBH. After I traded my Duke 3 in I was back up at shop within a couple of days and it was there gleaming.
The new owner was in the shop after a test ride and enthusing wildly about it. (Of course I already knew :wink: )

Really need that ride anytime feel bike.

The Dukes do it for me. Everytime.

Thanks for the info folks!

jambox
Trackday hero

Postby jambox » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:37 pm

ShadeTheChangingMan wrote:love those stats! Can you post a link to the site you use for it please?

It was on Top Gear and somewhere here the other week.

Here you go http://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/

fakujak72
Two wheeled terror

Postby fakujak72 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:02 pm

Would appear there are no more Duke 3 Rs left. :?:

Soooo....Have just shifted the R1 for a new SDR :oops:

fakujak72
Two wheeled terror

Postby fakujak72 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:42 am

Sorry folks. But it would appear that Duke 3 R bikes are indeed. A very rare breed.

Did a search around to buy one and they seem to be rarer than Rocking Horse Sh1t. Atmo. And certainly for the forseeable future. :(

Had to make do with an SDR :wink:

KInd of good and bad :twisted:

Plipton
Master of the twisties

Postby Plipton » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:22 pm

I chopped my SDR in for a Duke IIIR. The 690 suits me better as I live on an island with a crap speed limit so light and flickable is better than heavy and fast.

You'll love the SDR once your buttocks harden up a bit :)
Current fleet... 1972 Kawasaki H1D 500 triple, 1976 Suzuki RE5 rotary, 1976 Kawasaki KH500, 2010 Triumph Thunderbird 1700 (don't ask!), 1954 Beetle, a big white van and a shopping/commuting 4 wheeled device.

fakujak72
Two wheeled terror

Postby fakujak72 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:13 pm

Plipton wrote:I chopped my SDR in for a Duke IIIR. The 690 suits me better as I live on an island with a crap speed limit so light and flickable is better than heavy and fast.

You'll love the SDR once your buttocks harden up a bit :)

Yep The Duke III of mine was certainly a lovely machine once I had it sorted. That is the reason I had decided upon the "R" version. Enquiries drew a blank though. :cry:

However. On the bright side the SDR is ticking the boxes so far. I don't rember my carboned up akro mapped 2005 SD feeling quite like it. :?

I tend to put more weight on the balls of my feet than on the seat anyways. I've not had a comfort problem so far. :o

Return to Other KTMs