1290 Speedo Correction

general forum > questions . answers . discussions
harold
Minimoto racer

Re: 1290 Speedo Correction

Postby harold » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:30 am

Mine is at the dealer right now fixing a gas leak caused by the plastic connection they say.
I read somewhere here that the dealer was able to change the diameter of the front wheel, and that this was wrong from the factory making the speedometer read too fast. Set an inch smaller should make it about right. IS this possible? Reading this thread it would appear they can't change it.

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:29 am

harold wrote:Mine is at the dealer right now fixing a gas leak caused by the plastic connection they say.
I read somewhere here that the dealer was able to change the diameter of the front wheel, and that this was wrong from the factory making the speedometer read too fast. Set an inch smaller should make it about right. IS this possible? Reading this thread it would appear they can't change it.

2 options only Adventure and SDR1290. When initiating the software and choosing SDR1290 it sets the wheel size to that model, no other options available.
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

kevxtx
Stunt rider

Postby kevxtx » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:27 am

Found some time today to pull both ABS rings off, hope to report back soon.

Had a new axle fitted a few weeks back & found my wheel nut loose today when I removed the rear wheel :roll: , yip not torqued to spec, sprocket nut was tight, I have not ridden the bike since the new axle was fitted by the dealer it has only been ridden home & parked.

SjwNz
Minimoto racer

Postby SjwNz » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:54 am

Would changing the rings affect the odometer, so the Speed would be correct but distance be out?
2014 KTM1290 SuperDuke
2010 Yamaha YZF450
And a Van.

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:37 am

SjwNz wrote:Would changing the rings affect the odometer, so the Speed would be correct but distance be out?

Distance is out too mate as it is, not as much as the speedo but close.
People have done the GPS test and from memory it's round 8% too
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

Scotty
Two wheeled terror

Postby Scotty » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:15 am

Changing the ABS rings can lead to all sorts of problems - a few years ago the Honda TT Legends Endurance team swapped the rings for lighter aluminium versions and their ECU refused to play ball - after plenty of head scratching it was found that the ring for one of the wheels had one slot less than the ring for the other wheel so the system could never calibrate itself and spat out an error code and sulked until the problem was identified and fixed.
Does the speedo signal get taken from these then, and not read from the front sprocket like a Japanese bike?
Wheelies - they ARE big, and they ARE clever....

FFlash
Two wheeled terror

Postby FFlash » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:00 pm

Scotty wrote:Changing the ABS rings can lead to all sorts of problems...

To be anally accurate I think you need to insert, "by someone who can't count". VBG

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:06 pm

FFlash wrote:
Scotty wrote:Changing the ABS rings can lead to all sorts of problems...

To be anally accurate I think you need to insert, "by someone who can't count". VBG

+1 and also someone who doesn't know the difference in metals and the influence on electronic sensors.

Our Nordic friend has done it and it works fine!

kevxtx
Stunt rider

Postby kevxtx » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:42 am

Got these today STD 48T modified ones 43T, I best get some paint on them & give the over reading Speedo a hair cut & shave off some of those over reading numbers this weekend, review to follow.

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:44 am

kevxtx wrote:Got these today STD 48T modified ones 43T, I best get some paint on them & give the over reading Speedo a hair cut & shave off some of those over reading numbers this weekend, review to follow.

Sweet! look forward to feedback!

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:32 am

Lasercut or water jet and what material Kev?
Any modifications you undertake are your sole responsibility, I am not liable for any claims relating to modifications or suggestions posted on this forum. If you undertake any modifications you do so at your own risk.

Growler48
Two wheeled terror

Postby Growler48 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:33 pm

Awesome! Can't wait to hear how it goes!
2014 SuperDuke 1290 R BLACK! 8)

kevxtx
Stunt rider

Postby kevxtx » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:58 am

abc wrote:Lasercut or water jet and what material Kev?

The OEM ones are mild steel, same material but with galvanised coating water cut, all painted tonight & baked for 30min in the oven. Kev2 & myself will test them in the morning against our GPS's.

kevxtx
Stunt rider

Postby kevxtx » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:09 am

I can report back the ABS ring mods works 100% with no side affects on both Kev2 & my bike today, I will get a 44T set cut this week as I want to see what they read at. The one offs were not cheap but can say finally I have a Speedo that reads closer then the OEM spec Speedo.

With the 43T ABS ring, GPS speed at 100KPH = Speedo reading of 100KPH, the 44T results to follow soon as we need to add compensation for tyre wear.

OEM ring 48T on the left, 43T modded ABS ring right

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:17 am

kevxtx wrote:I can report back the ABS ring mods works 100% with no side affects on both Kev2 & my bike today, I will get a 44T set cut this week as I want to see what they read at. The one offs were not cheap but can say finally I have a Speedo that reads closer then the OEM spec Speedo.

With the 43T ABS ring, GPS speed at 100KPH = Speedo reading of 100KPH, the 44T results to follow soon as we need to add compensation for tyre wear.

OEM ring 48T on the left, 43T modded ABS ring right

Great!

I'm sure you can sell a few of those. Maybe people can tell here if they are interested so you can negotiate for a price with the machine shop!

I'm interested depending on price.

jmann

Postby jmann » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:27 am

Comrade Kevxtx: I'm also interested subject to price. :D

SjwNz
Minimoto racer

Postby SjwNz » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:55 am

Maybe keen for a set, do you have a cad file for those discs?
2014 KTM1290 SuperDuke
2010 Yamaha YZF450
And a Van.

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:33 am

SjwNz wrote:Maybe keen for a set, do you have a cad file for those discs?

Not very nice to ask for the cad drawing!
Before nobody wanted to get involved and now that someone put the effort in you want the easy way of walking in a machine shop and get it cut.
If you want to copy it at least measure them and make the drawing yourself

Growler48
Two wheeled terror

Postby Growler48 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:46 am

I'm in for a set!
2014 SuperDuke 1290 R BLACK! 8)

SjwNz
Minimoto racer

Postby SjwNz » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:22 am

ktmguy wrote:
SjwNz wrote:Maybe keen for a set, do you have a cad file for those discs?

Not very nice to ask for the cad drawing!
Before nobody wanted to get involved and now that someone put the effort in you want the easy way of walking in a machine shop and get it cut.
If you want to copy it at least measure them and make the drawing yourself

I didn't mean any disrespect, I only joined this forum a week ago and following this thread for 3 or 4 days.
I am happy to buy 1 if made available for sale, if not I will have to learn to use a cad program.
2014 KTM1290 SuperDuke
2010 Yamaha YZF450
And a Van.

harold
Minimoto racer

Postby harold » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:11 pm

For us in the US, I would think that shipping would be expensive, but my other question would be how much labour to install? It appears from your one picture that the rear axle has to be removed obviously, and the front as well. The front should be easy, but the rear looks like this is not something that would take a few minutes, or be possible by the average owner.

In any case the big question is why you were able to make them the right size, and KTM wasn't. I can't see where it would cost KTM anymore to make them the right size, as opposed to what they currently are making them- the wrong size. Why don't have a provision in their programming that makes the size of these disks work right from the start? Also, why do some bikes have a difference in the percentage the speedo is off? Mine is not the 10%, but closer to 5%, but my odometer seems to be closer to 10%, based on the mileage markers on the Interstates we have here.

I guess KTM is spending more time and money on wheelie ability, instead of accurate speedometers, which in my opinion isn't a bad trade off.

kevxtx
Stunt rider

Postby kevxtx » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:55 pm

Once I have tested the 44T ABS rings I will find a cheaper laser cutter. The 44s will cost me a fare bit in the name of research + I also paid for kev2 ABS rings as he drew them up for me, it is a bit unfair to ask for the CAD files when I have used my own money for all the research. The 43's are dead on the GPS speed +-1kph, I would be happier with a few kms of a over reading Speedo for tyre wear compensation.

I will post the 44T results as soon as I get them & let you guys know what I can get the ABS rings down to in price, I am not into these mods to make big money I would only put a small mark up on them for my time to get them made & posted.

My bike feels so good these days with the new steering damper + ignition module, it feels very responsive in power & handling, I will be back on the Dyno in the coming weeks to build a proper ignition + A/F ratio PCV map.
Last edited by kevxtx on Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:14 pm

kevxtx wrote:Once I have tested the 44T ABS rings I will find a cheaper laser cutter as I paid Oz$120.00 for 2 fronts & 2 rears. The 44s will cost me another $120.00 in the name of research + I paid for kev2 ABS rings as he drew them up for me, it is a bit unfair to ask for the CAD files when I have paid $240 of my own money for all the research. The 43's are dead on the GPS speed +-1kph, I would be happier with a few kms of a over reading Speedo for tyre wear compensation.

I will post the 44T results as soon as I get them & let you guys know what I can get the ABS rings down to in price, I am not into these mods to make big money I would only put a small mark up on them for my time to get them made & posted.

My bike feels so good these days with the new steering damper + ignition module, it feels very responsive in power & handling, I will be back on the Dyno in the coming weeks to build a proper ignition + A/F ratio PCV map.

Kev what are we gonna do when you stop buying ktms?
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

SjwNz
Minimoto racer

Postby SjwNz » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:51 pm

Hi kevxtx

With the 10% reduction in slots, did this correct the speedo at all speeds
like in 50, 60 80km zones. I moved the needle on my vans speedo to read spot on 100kms with a GPS but
I knew all the lower speeds would still be out.

I am not into these mods to make big money I would only put a small mark up on them for my time to get them made & posted.

You can charge me extra for been a dick.
2014 KTM1290 SuperDuke
2010 Yamaha YZF450
And a Van.

GJB
Minimoto racer

Postby GJB » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:48 am

I am in for a set

PreviousNext

Return to Hooliganism