1290 Speedo Correction

general forum > questions . answers . discussions
Growler48
Two wheeled terror

1290 Speedo Correction

Postby Growler48 » Sun May 24, 2015 11:29 pm

Has anyone figured out how to correct the speedo on the 1290? I checked with Speedohealer and their product won't work because of the CAN bus on this bike. I haven't been able to find another solution. I want to change the sprockets on mine when I get it and need to correct the speed indication.
2014 SuperDuke 1290 R BLACK! 8)

ktmguy
Site Admin

Re: 1290 Speedo Correction

Postby ktmguy » Mon May 25, 2015 12:07 am

Yes we did, use the search button.

Our nordic friend got someone to cut new sensor plates for the front and rear wheel with 10% less tooth in them.
I looked in to it and that's the easiest and best solution so far. It doesn't affect the ABS or TC.
What we need to do is have a look if there is one available of the shelve like from aprilia, bmw or so that fits easily and works.
Or get motohooligan or someone with access to a laser cutter to pump some out.

If I get the same bike I'll look in to it again.
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Mon May 25, 2015 1:03 am

Our Nordic friend WAS going to post the detailed dimensions on the new chopper ring so we could get some made but he has not posted any further details for us :cry:
Any modifications you undertake are your sole responsibility, I am not liable for any claims relating to modifications or suggestions posted on this forum. If you undertake any modifications you do so at your own risk.

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Mon May 25, 2015 5:21 am

abc wrote:Our Nordic friend WAS going to post the detailed dimensions on the new chopper ring so we could get some made but he has not posted any further details for us :cry:

+1
A cad drawing would be nice!
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

Op_Engineer
Minimoto racer

Postby Op_Engineer » Mon May 25, 2015 5:46 am

Don't forget the traction control works off a comparison of front to rear sensors. If the front is replaced it most likely will send the traction control into retard mode. :shock:

DukeSuper14
Minimoto racer

Postby DukeSuper14 » Mon May 25, 2015 6:02 am

Growler48 wrote:Has anyone figured out how to correct the speedo on the 1290? I checked with Speedohealer and their product won't work because of the CAN bus on this bike. I haven't been able to find another solution. I want to change the sprockets on mine when I get it and need to correct the speed indication.

If you are only worried about the gearing change, I believe mph/kph are indicated of front wheel therefore any gearing change will not effect speedometer readings. If you're searching for true accuracy see above.^

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Mon May 25, 2015 8:11 am

Op_Engineer wrote:Don't forget the traction control works off a comparison of front to rear sensors. If the front is replaced it most likely will send the traction control into retard mode. :shock:

Mate do a search before you post something that has been posted probably 20 times by now!!!
The system allows for calibration by letting the wheels turn a few revolutions when you take off after the engine has been turned off. That's why the TC ABS light stays on till you moved a few meters forward.
How on earth would it otherwise calibrate itself for different- worn- new tyres???

And to be on the safe side, the person who replaced the sensor plates did both, to be sure the system stayed in the allowed parameters if there are some.

DukeSuper14 wrote:
Growler48 wrote:Has anyone figured out how to correct the speedo on the 1290? I checked with Speedohealer and their product won't work because of the CAN bus on this bike. I haven't been able to find another solution. I want to change the sprockets on mine when I get it and need to correct the speed indication.

If you are only worried about the gearing change, I believe mph/kph are indicated of front wheel therefore any gearing change will not effect speedometer readings. If you're searching for true accuracy see above.^

+1 Yes, sprockets don't change the speedo, works of the front wheel sensor.

Tripped1
Two wheeled terror

Postby Tripped1 » Fri May 29, 2015 3:17 pm

Op_Engineer wrote:Don't forget the traction control works off a comparison of front to rear sensors. If the front is replaced it most likely will send the traction control into retard mode. :shock:

As noted it calibrates when you first start moving (only foreward I may add) otherwise tyre wear would set it into limp mode....as would different tyres.

I'm on my third set of tyres and they have all been different sizes 120/70 & 190/55 120/60 & 200/55 etc. No issues with ABC/TC/MST

BrandonH
Two wheeled terror

Postby BrandonH » Fri May 29, 2015 7:34 pm

My 2015 speedo is MUCH closer to normal than my 2014 was. (like 2mph off)
2007 950 SE
2014 690 Enduro R (Sumo conversion)
2014 1290 SDR (RIP)
2015 1290 SDR

GJB
Minimoto racer

Postby GJB » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:10 am

Interesting that 2015 is better than 2014. What is different? hardware or software?

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:18 pm

BrandonH wrote:My 2015 speedo is MUCH closer to normal than my 2014 was. (like 2mph off)

Well mine is as far off as my first 1290! At least 10 %.
So either that's different software, not right or I got a left over '14.

If you want BrandonH pm me your vin excluding the last 3 digits or so if you worried so we can compare.

BrandonH
Two wheeled terror

Postby BrandonH » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:17 am

Pm'd
2007 950 SE
2014 690 Enduro R (Sumo conversion)
2014 1290 SDR (RIP)
2015 1290 SDR

KyleW518
Minimoto racer

Postby KyleW518 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:11 pm

Yet another one in the books of being drastically optimistic...... I cant believe that a bike from the factory is allowed to be sold with the speed that far off....

I did the actual vs. the indicated using a GPS and it is almost 16% off!!!! That is just ridiculous!!!!

I called the two companies that I was able to find that make the correction modification (speedo healer and 12oclock labs) and 12oclock labs told me they can not do it and speedo healer is working on something.

I know its been concluded since the speed is based off of the ABS/MTC ring sensor the only way to fix it so far is cutting new disks with more slots, anyone that has tried this does it work? And how close is your speed now?

Thanks

alobar
Two wheeled terror

Postby alobar » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:42 pm

KyleW518 wrote:Yet another one in the books of being drastically optimistic...... I cant believe that a bike from the factory is allowed to be sold with the speed that far off....

I did the actual vs. the indicated using a GPS and it is almost 16% off!!!! That is just ridiculous!!!!

I called the two companies that I was able to find that make the correction modification (speedo healer and 12oclock labs) and 12oclock labs told me they can not do it and speedo healer is working on something.

I know its been concluded since the speed is based off of the ABS/MTC ring sensor the only way to fix it so far is cutting new disks with more slots, anyone that has tried this does it work? And how close is your speed now?

Thanks

there is a guy here that actually did that. If you search you will find his thread.

steveberde
Two wheeled terror

Postby steveberde » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:37 am

Who cares. Yes I'm sure mine is 10-12% high but does it matter? In urban area I move with the traffic. In rural areas
I go as fast as I'm comfortable and rarely use the speedo for verification.

It's what's comfortable.
08 Superduke orange (totaled, deer strike)
14 Superduke R black

When you’re in jail good friends will come and bail you out.
Your BEST friends will be in the cell next to you saying,
“Damn, wasn’t that fun.”!

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:57 am

Well it matters to me. Its a very lazy piece of design. worst part is ktm probably know about it and haven't got off their ass to fix the problem.
If I had the original CAD files I could have the design corrected in less than 2 hours and the design changes could be seamlessly integrated into their current production lines. WTF its not hard to fix. Pretty slack I recon.
I would prefer to know exactly how fast I'm going and to see the correct numbers on the dash, same as all the other parameters I see on the dash. Should I expect that they too are up to 15% inaccurate :idea:
I might look at designing a fix for this when Im not so busy but its a long way down the list at present :(
It shouldn't be up to the customer to produce a fix; thats ktm's part but they seem a long way away from their customers sometimes.
Any modifications you undertake are your sole responsibility, I am not liable for any claims relating to modifications or suggestions posted on this forum. If you undertake any modifications you do so at your own risk.

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:39 pm

abc wrote:Well it matters to me. Its a very lazy piece of design. worst part is ktm probably know about it and haven't got off their ass to fix the problem.
If I had the original CAD files I could have the design corrected in less than 2 hours and the design changes could be seamlessly integrated into their current production lines. WTF its not hard to fix. Pretty slack I recon.
I would prefer to know exactly how fast I'm going and to see the correct numbers on the dash, same as all the other parameters I see on the dash. Should I expect that they too are up to 15% inaccurate :idea:
I might look at designing a fix for this when Im not so busy but its a long way down the list at present :(
It shouldn't be up to the customer to produce a fix; thats ktm's part but they seem a long way away from their customers sometimes.

+1 Matters to me too, couldn't agree more!

Ignorance lets them continue with all that shit and take us for dumbasses!
I mentioned before, millions have been spent to accurately measure time and distance to then trow it all away for stupidity.

Growler48
Two wheeled terror

Postby Growler48 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:25 pm

ktmguy wrote:
abc wrote:Well it matters to me. Its a very lazy piece of design. worst part is ktm probably know about it and haven't got off their ass to fix the problem.

+1 Matters to me too, couldn't agree more!

Ignorance lets them continue with all that shit and take us for dumbasses!
I mentioned before, millions have been spent to accurately measure time and distance to then trow it all away for stupidity.

+1 Agreed! I'm OCD and this drives me CRAZY!

kevxtx
Stunt rider

Postby kevxtx » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:20 am

I will be pulling both wheels off this weekend & getting new front & rear ABS plates water jet cut with 10% less holes, I will let you know how I get on.

Growler48
Two wheeled terror

Postby Growler48 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:43 pm

kevxtx wrote:I will be pulling both wheels off this weekend & getting new front & rear ABS plates water jet cut with 10% less holes, I will let you know how I get on.

Awesome! :-)

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:22 am

kevxtx wrote:I will be pulling both wheels off this weekend & getting new front & rear ABS plates water jet cut with 10% less holes, I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks kev, thats good news mate. Looking forward to hearing how you go.

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:13 am

Great! Thanks Kev.

kevxtx
Stunt rider

Postby kevxtx » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:01 am

I had no time this weekend was on the Dyno all morning yesterday then went for a ride afterwards, today spent the morning re-flashing 2 x MT09's & a Tracer, will make the time this week as it is a must have mod for me.

Growler48
Two wheeled terror

Postby Growler48 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:51 am

Thanks for the update.

KyleW518
Minimoto racer

Postby KyleW518 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:09 am

kevxtx wrote:I had no time this weekend was on the Dyno all morning yesterday then went for a ride afterwards, today spent the morning re-flashing 2 x MT09's & a Tracer, will make the time this week as it is a must have mod for me.

I'd also love to get a set of the 10% less rings, please keep us updated. Thank you

Next

Return to Hooliganism