OFFICIAL: New Super Duke R 1290

general forum > questions . answers . discussions

So now we have seen the finished bike are you....

Gutted! Everything I feared after all these months of speculation :-(
2%
It looks ok but not overly excited.
15%
Looks better than I expected and this could be a purchase but not sold completely yet. A lot depends on price tag.
36%
Shit my left testicle and kidney are on eBay now. Show me where to sign away my first born as well. Must have!!!
47%

Total votes : 172

soarsore
Two wheeled terror

Re: OFFICIAL: New Super Duke R 1290 Prototype

Postby soarsore » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:31 am

Jim H wrote:I'm making it my mission that 2014 will be a painful year for KTM (including but not limited to) KTM's upper management.

What did they ever do to you?
Fury - 2007 Superduke The State Route Ripper
Fuego - 2013 350 EXC-F Sidewalk, Alley and Sonora desert creeper (Sold)
2005 625 SMC (Sold)

ktmguy

Postby ktmguy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:41 am

soarsore wrote:
Jim H wrote:I'm making it my mission that 2014 will be a painful year for KTM (including but not limited to) KTM's upper management.

What did they ever do to you?

Go easy on him, he is just jealous and depressed coz he ain't got the $$ to buy one... :wink: :lol:

BTW from his signature I figure he is a glass half full guy?
Ready to race?....back to your dealer!

AGRO!
Trackday hero

Postby AGRO! » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:05 am

Jim H wrote:Innovative BS PR stunt - whatever the intention. I'm making it my mission that 2014 will be a painful year for KTM (including but not limited to) KTM's upper management. You guys get sucked in like a Dyson on steroids. Wake up - reverse psychology at play. KTM don't have the confidence to push such a poorly developed product on the public without their input (just look at the videos + inherent instability & poor apex speed of 1290) to realise that they don't have a clue just so that they can justify an obscene price tag for nothing more than a contemporary Gixxer 7/11. The realists will know what I'm getting at. This is no revolution, it's merely a repeat of mistakes past.

LOL!! Its funny that you said all that stuff Just like most I used to get sucked in by the latest
And greatest new model bikes on the market.
In the real world you cant use all this hp unless you want to end up in jail but like all manufactures they have to keep the updates comming just to get more sales.
Is the new SD crap? We will find out soon :wink:
All I want to do is ride my bike and live in peace :)

2009 SUPER DUKE, 2011 Aprilia RS 125, 07 Honda lead scooter!

Superdan
Thunder pumpkin rider

Postby Superdan » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:23 am

Jim H wrote:Innovative BS PR stunt - whatever the intention. I'm making it my mission that 2014 will be a painful year for KTM (including but not limited to) KTM's upper management. You guys get sucked in like a Dyson on steroids. Wake up - reverse psychology at play. KTM don't have the confidence to push such a poorly developed product on the public without their input (just look at the videos + inherent instability & poor apex speed of 1290) to realise that they don't have a clue just so that they can justify an obscene price tag for nothing more than a contemporary Gixxer 7/11. The realists will know what I'm getting at. This is no revolution, it's merely a repeat of mistakes past.

[/quote]

Who says we are getting sucked in? and even if we were whats wrong with a little hype? do I have intention of buying it? no, I dont have 13k to spunk on a bike but enjoy the thread none-the-less, we know what its pretty much going to look like anyway. Many people are interested as they have the same bike incarnated into different versions over the past 9 years and looking forward to something new.

I have no idea what the rest of your babble is on about, but when the hell have KTM ever released a bike that was shit? The new Adventure has rave reviews and its the same engine?!

Step down of your mightier than thou pedestal, go ride your bike and chillax.

shadowman
Stunt rider

Postby shadowman » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:07 am

Reminds me of the people who write to sellers on fleabay advising them that the listed price is a bit high??

Self appointed sages with insight that the rest of us must in desperate need of.

Here is my advice Jim - Are you ready -- Don't buy one and stop obsessing over the marketing activity for a product you have no interest in.

I'm not buying one either but I'm quite enjoying watching the long drawn out launch....

Oh and get another mission for 2014 - making other people unhappy seems to be aiming a bit low to me
Recovering superbike addict

Stratkat
Trackday hero

Postby Stratkat » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:44 pm

afraid thats pretty much it, has mirrors, directionals plate hanger, full paint.
i love the thing but that plate hanger will have to go!

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:25 pm

Stratkat wrote:afraid thats pretty much it, has mirrors, directionals plate hanger, full paint.
i love the thing but that plate hanger will have to go!

That's what tail tidy is for :D I'm really not sure about it. That instrument cluster doesn't look right to me.
"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realise that it's not worth the f*cking effort. There is a difference."
The late Bill Hicks

Aphex
Two wheeled terror

Postby Aphex » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:40 pm

Really weird how it has a blinker bar between the headlight and the gauge cluster o_O
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Current map: 07-08_US_SD_Akra_Map_smoothened.

notriding
Minimoto racer

Postby notriding » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:38 pm

Latest Asphalt and Rubber Posting with teaser video of the new 1290 SDR.

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/k ... t+&+Rubber)

Also, checkout www.1290superduker.com

Kinda gets you all fired up!

Stratkat
Trackday hero

Postby Stratkat » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:43 am

notriding wrote:Latest Asphalt and Rubber Posting with teaser video of the new 1290 SDR.

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/k ... t+&+Rubber)

Also, checkout http://www.1290superduker.com

Kinda gets you all fired up!

this was posted on the previous page. interesting that this image shows a solo seat though... R?

Lowrance
Trackday hero

Postby Lowrance » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:02 am

License plate hanger is a piece of piss to sort...the real issue lies with that rediculous headlight and guage cluster assembly. That will not be an easy (or cheap) fix.

And all the usual stuff I ramble on about, boat anchor for swingarm, no rising rate linkage, low seat height, etc, etc, etc. Just like I stated back when the first images from the Canary Islands came out...the only thing that impresses me from the photos are the motor and the front brakes. That's it.

DribbleDuke
Master of the twisties

Postby DribbleDuke » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:55 am

I remember when the prototype SD was featured on Motorcyclist Magazine back in ott4. I knew that it would be a few years till the US got the bike. I waited in quiet desperation for it to float across the Atlantic. It made it to the Canadian border and got stuck in a frozen great lakes region. There was rumour that you could buy one from a small import shope in Seatle Washington but if it was registered in the US all warranties would be null and void. Like a kid waiting for Christmas to come, I thought that the day to snick one of these beauties into first gear was never going to happen. I have not been able to wrap my excitement around this new launch. These pictures that were last posted Is a slap in the face to the Kiskaesque qualities that made me fall head over oil site tube many moons ago.
If he fell off a wagon on into one or off his medication or onto another prescription, Please call a doctor.
There marketing worked better when the product looked better.
Always waiting for the arse-end to catch up
Oh, here it comes now...

ktmguy

Postby ktmguy » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:35 am

DribbleDuke wrote:I remember when the prototype SD was featured on Motorcyclist Magazine back in ott4. I knew that it would be a few years till the US got the bike. I waited in quiet desperation for it to float across the Atlantic. It made it to the Canadian border and got stuck in a frozen great lakes region. There was rumour that you could buy one from a small import shope in Seatle Washington but if it was registered in the US all warranties would be null and void. Like a kid waiting for Christmas to come, I thought that the day to snick one of these beauties into first gear was never going to happen. I have not been able to wrap my excitement around this new launch. These pictures that were last posted Is a slap in the face to the Kiskaesque qualities that made me fall head over oil site tube many moons ago.
If he fell off a wagon on into one or off his medication or onto another prescription, Please call a doctor.
There marketing worked better when the product looked better.

So with the money you planned to spend, did you buy a lot of legaly available prescription drugs in canada and lived hapily ever after?

You are right that the prototype looked better than the pic above, if it looks like that in the flesh it will take a lot to fix it...
Aftermarket parts makers will be laughing. Motohooligan spin up your cnc machines!!!
Ready to race?....back to your dealer!

AGRO!
Trackday hero

Postby AGRO! » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:09 am

The only bit I like on that bike is the licence plate hanger.

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:23 am

Lowrance wrote:License plate hanger is a piece of piss to sort...the real issue lies with that rediculous headlight and guage cluster assembly. That will not be an easy (or cheap) fix.

And all the usual stuff I ramble on about, boat anchor for swingarm, no rising rate linkage, low seat height, etc, etc, etc. Just like I stated back when the first images from the Canary Islands came out...the only thing that impresses me from the photos are the motor and the front brakes. That's it.

With the fact that SSW chain adjustment seems to lower/raise ride hight (this is what it seems to do watching vids, I have never owned a bike with one though) how are KTM going to get around this?
"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realise that it's not worth the f*cking effort. There is a difference."
The late Bill Hicks

MrZ32
Trackday hero

Postby MrZ32 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:46 am

Wtf!!! I'm away for a Little while and ktm produces something this ugly? After giving something so beautiful with the proto bike.

I'm truly dissapointed... im sure it would be great to ride but really. .. This almost looks as bad as the new tuono.

All that being said with a bit of work it could look great... but that shouldn't be necessary for a new bike.
08 SD, WP Dampener, 'Suspension Improvements" tuned sus (springs, valves, shim stacks ), KTM cowl, R&G carbon covers, Termi Pipes (from a duc 998), Grim990 Airbox, breather mod, SAS plates, tuneECU PDI tune, HM QS, JTM VS & DVS

fatbob
Stunt rider

Postby fatbob » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:46 am

surely its missing a mask :shock:

MrZ32
Trackday hero

Postby MrZ32 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:53 am

I think it is the mirrors and instrument cluster. .. if they weren't there it would all be good.
08 SD, WP Dampener, 'Suspension Improvements" tuned sus (springs, valves, shim stacks ), KTM cowl, R&G carbon covers, Termi Pipes (from a duc 998), Grim990 Airbox, breather mod, SAS plates, tuneECU PDI tune, HM QS, JTM VS & DVS

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:56 am

MrZ32 wrote:I think it is the mirrors and instrument cluster. .. if they weren't there it would all be good.

Good to see you back m8 :)

Yeah that bit all looks wrong to me.
The late Bill Hicks

AGRO!
Trackday hero

Postby AGRO! » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:32 pm

Hey james :shock:

ozarkhomie
Two wheeled terror

Postby ozarkhomie » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:16 pm

Lose the elephant ear mirrors, install a tidy-tail and install some type of small fairing to cover the gap between the headlight and clocks....
Double Double please....no onions!

MotoHooligan 2008 SDR

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:18 pm

Just spoke to my dealer and they are expecting bikes beginning of Nov.
The late Bill Hicks

Stratkat
Trackday hero

Postby Stratkat » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:42 pm

wonder who will be the first on here to own one?

41KS
Two wheeled terror

Postby 41KS » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:55 pm

Not me. I am somehow glad to see stock bike is enough ugly, so expected depreciation should be enough in few years to reasonably own one with all your own chosen bells and whistles. Or who knows what about in few years :twisted:
365 days a year perfect motorcycling weather in Europe! Where?? Investment properties in Spain, Costa Del Sol: http://www.sunavenuehomes.com

PreviousNext

Return to Hooliganism